Saturday, November 29, 2008
- CAPT. STEPHANOS: Seized Sept. 21. The freighter was flying the Bahamas flag. It was carrying a cargo of coal and has 17 Filipinos, one Chinese and a Ukrainian aboard.
- FAINA: Seized Sept. 24. The ship was carrying 33 T-72 tanks, grenade launchers and ammunition destined for Kenya's Mombasa port. Pirates have demanded $20 million in ransom.
- AFRICAN SANDERLING: Seized Oct. 15. The Panama-flagged, Japanese-operated, and Korea-owned bulk carrier has 21 Filipino crew aboard.
- STOLT STRENGTH: Seized Nov. 10. The chemical tanker with 23 Filipino crew aboard was hijacked by pirates in the Gulf of Aden. It was carrying 23,818 tonnes of oil products.
- THE KARAGOL: Seized Nov. 12. The Turkish ship with 14 crew was hijacked off Yemen. It was transporting more than 4,000 tonnes of chemicals to the port of Bombay.
- TIANYU 8: Seized Nov. 13/14. The Chinese fishing boat was reported seized off Kenya. The crew included 15 Chinese, one Taiwanese, one Japanese, three Filipinos and four Vietnamese.
- CHEMSTAR VENUS: Seized Nov. 15. The combined chemical and oil tanker was travelling from Dumai, Indonesia to the Ukraine. It had 18 Filipino and five South Korean crew.
- SIRIUS STAR: Seized Nov. 15. The Saudi supertanker, the biggest ship ever hijacked, held as much as 2 million barrels of oil. Captured off east Africa, it had 25 crew from Croatia, Britain, the Philippines, Poland and Saudi Arabia.
- THE DELIGHT: Seized Nov. 18. The Hong Kong-flagged ship with 25 crew aboard is loaded with 36,000 tonnes of wheat bound for Iran. It was captured off the coast of Yemen.
- ADINA: Seized last week. The Adina is a Yemeni-operated bulk carrier and carried seven crew, including three Somalis, two Yemenis and two Panamanians.
- BISCAGLIA: Seized on Nov. 28. The Biscaglia is a Liberian-flagged chemical tanker with 30 crew on board, 25 Indians, three Britons and two Bangladeshis.
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
- * Marshall Plan: Cost: $12.7 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $115.3 billion
- * Louisiana Purchase: Cost: $15 million, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $217 billion
- * Race to the Moon: Cost: $36.4 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $237 billion
- * S&L Crisis: Cost: $153 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $256 billion
- * Korean War: Cost: $54 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $454 billion
- * The New Deal: Cost: $32 billion (Est), Inflation Adjusted Cost: $500 billion (Est)
- * Invasion of Iraq: Cost: $551b, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $597 billion
- * Vietnam War: Cost: $111 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $698 billion
- * NASA: Cost: $416.7 billion, Inflation Adjusted Cost: $851.2 billion
TOTAL: $3.92 trillion
Apparently there is a never-ending supply of money to be lent. Let's face it, we didn't know how to get out of our current debt of 10 TRILLION (see my debt clockto the right), so what makes anyone believe we will be able to take care of an additional 4, 5, 6, or 7 TRILLION? Answer - there is no way, making all of our money pretty much the equivalant of Monopoly money. The only difference is that with the GAME, there are rules.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." -- Thomas Jefferson in 1802 in a letter to then Secretary of the Treasury, Albert Gallatin
Think HE knew what he was talking about?
Sunday, November 16, 2008
In other news...The FEC has decided NOT to audit Mr Obama's campaign and instead focus on Mr McCain's campaign. Nevermind all that foreign money and all the cartoon characters that donated. Oh well, probably nothing to worry about...
Also...Given the speed at which the federal government is throwing money at the financial crisis, the average taxpayer, never mind member of Congress, might not be faulted for losing track. However, for anyone who has been paying attention and keeping a running tally of actual spending as well as the commitments involved, it is three-point eight trillion dollars. That's $3,800,000.000.000. But don't worry, your taxes are going to go DOWN, remember?
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
“Our assessment at this time is that this (the purchase of toxic assets) is not the most effective way to use funds,” Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson told a news conference.
Paulson said the administration will continue to use $250 billion of the program to purchase stock in banks as a way to bolster their balance sheets and encourage them to resume more normal lending.
Sunday, November 9, 2008
Traditionally, the victorious campaign has set up inaugural funds, as well as funds to deal with legal costs and other expenses to close down the campaign. Others have set up quasi-corporate offices to deal with transition issues, such as in 2000, when, with the election in doubt, the Bush-Cheney team set up a private transition office in McLean, Virginia, covering the costs from campaign contributions and other fundraising. Ultimately, the federal government, headed by the Government Services Administration, covers the cost of the transition staff, providing it with office space and all equipment.
No political organization has ever set up a transition team as a tax-exempt entity that would be shrouded in such secrecy.
Obama claimed he would be more transparent about the way things were done.
As well, the nonprofit may also serve as a haven for Obama supporters and campaign loyalists who for one reason or another can't be employed by the Administration or in the federal government. "There are some people who have been with us from the beginning who are clearly political liabilities or who won't be able to qualify for a job, say, because they can't get a security clearance."
Regardless of the purpose, Obama campaign officials say there is no intention of shutting down the 501(c) 4 Project after the transition is over.
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Sunday, November 2, 2008
STATUS - Convicted awaiting sentencing.
My Opinion - That's one down.
(2) William Jefferson - Democratic Congressman from Louisiana - at least seven cases in which he "sought things of value in return for his performance of official acts."Oh, and the $90,000 in cash that was hidden in his freezer had nothing to do with any of THAT.
STATUS - kicked out of Congress, hired by Department of Homeland Security.
My Opinion - Unbelievable. Jail.
(3) John Murtha - Republican Congressman from Pennsylvania - multiple counts of corruption, slandering 8 Marines in public (legal as long as he makes the statements in Congress, not when he does it outside), and just plain ole' being stupid - he called his own consituents racist and redneck.
STATUS - About to lose a reelection campaign. That should free up his time so that he can rot in a jail cell for a while.
My Opinion - Google "lunatic" and his name and picture come up. Jail.
(4) Tim Mahoney- Democratic Confressman from Florida - all kinds of sexual harassment of his staff and trying to force members of his staff to attend fundraisers and "tease" more money from them.
STATUS -Investigation underway, complete with tape recordings of everything.
My Opinion -New career - pimp? Jail.
(5) Robert Wexler - Democratic Congressman from Florida - doesn't live in Florida and doesn't maintain a legal residence there, thus perpetrating a fraud on not only his constituents, but also, the US Congress. The address he claims is owned by his in-laws and is in a 55-and-over retirement community. He is has three children making him ineligible to live there.
STATUS - After the truth came out, he leased an apartment in his district.
My Opinion - But what about the fraud? Jail.
(6) Gavin Newsom - Democratic Mayor of San Francisco - For declaring his city as a sanctuary for illegal aliens and refusing to assist (and opposing) federal agents from doing their jobs.
STATUS - Still running his city into the ground.
My Opinion - Clown. Jail.
(7) Antonio Villaraigosa (aka Tony Villar) - Democratic Mayor of Los Angeles - the list is long, but mostly for endorsing and continuing Special Order 40 - implemented by the LA City Council to prevent LAPD from obtaining immigration status from detained suspects in 1969. Also, for wasting LA taxpayer money traveling ALL OVER the world (why does a Mayor need to do that?)
STATUS - Still running his city into the ground. And marching WITH illegal alien protesters in the LA streets.
My Opinion - Clown. Jail.
(8) Barrack Obama - Democratic Senator from Illinois - for accepting and using illegal foreign campaign donations - around 200 million dollars worth.
STATUS - An FEC auditor has tried to have a formal investigation launched, but the analyst says his supervisors are unwilling to touch the case is because Justice Department or FBI involvement would be indicative of a criminal investigation, something the FEC would prefer not take place a month before the presidential election.
My Opinion - Uh, what do you mean "would prefer not take place a month before the presidential election"? That is EXACTLY when it needs to be done. Jail.
(9) Barney Frank - Democratic Congressman from Massachusetts - Lots, but we'll stick to leading the way and pushing for lower standards in lending to home buyers, and then arguing against investigations into the obvious problems that have now become catastrophic.
STATUS - Still on the loose and now wants to spend another 150 billion and has threatened Republicans that if they don't agree, he will propose an even bigger fiasco. Also wants to cut defense spending by 25%.
My Opinion - Can't get the cuffs on this guy fast enough. Jail.
(10) Maxine Waters - Democratic Congresswoman from California - Plenty of stuff, but specifically for blocking government oversight that could have prevented the current financial crisis, and lying about receiving $15,000 from Fannie Mae and Freddie mac lending institutions (just part of the $4.8 millionn Congress has received from them).
STATUS - Still on the loose.
My Opinion - Clown. Jail.